This is Natasha Burkett with the South Florida Luxury Home Team. Here are 7 FREE tips to sell your home fast and for more money.
Professional Home Inspection
1. Get a professional home inspection, roof inspection and termite inspection before putting your home on the market will help to sell your home fast and for more money. You want to make sure you fix any health and safety issues prior to going on the market. You will know what’s wrong. You will also know what items need to be fixed and have the option to fix them prior to listing your home. Any big ticket items, it’s better to know in advance. This takes repair costs into account for your bottom line. You will avoid having to fix issues that are truly not issues. Getting your home inspected also shows that you are transparent and you have nothing to hide. It lets you know what types of loan you can accept and the consequences.
2. Get your home appraised by a licensed certified local appraiser who knows the area. This takes the guesswork out of pricing. It insures proper negotiations are made up front regarding the price and terms in the contract should the home appraise for higher or lower than the agreed upon contract price. You will also know how much the bank will loan. A home appraisal assures you don’t overprice or underprice your home. Remember, Zestimate is not accurate, it’s an algorithm and does not take into consideration upgrades, views, lot size, location, age, etc.
3. Stage your home or do semi staging both inside and out. Your home will sell fast and for more money, on average 6%, so you could get about $18,000 more for that $300,000 home. Buyers can see themselves living in the home since you are showcasing its best features and do personalizing. For vacant property, virtual staging is also an option at a fraction of the cost. The most bang for your buck will be the carpets and paint. Don’t forget to stage the outside. Plants and flowers can really help with curb appeal.
4. Require the buyer to have a to be determined, TBD, approval letter or at minimum desktop underwritten, never just pre-qualification will help to sell your home fast and for more money. This insures that the underwriter has already seen the entire file and approved it. The underwriter has seen documents such as taxes, W-2s, verified employment, bank statements, etc.
5. Offer a home warranty. A home warranty typically lasts a year and gives the buyer assurance that if any issues come up after the close of escrow they will get it fixed for a nominal fee. The buyer feels comfortable knowing that a licensed professional will take care of these issues and they aren’t worried about having to come up with additional money later on that they don’t have, especially just after buying a home.
6. Where are all your disclosure statements? You want to make sure you have all disclosures on hand prior to going on the MLS. Seller property disclosure statement, lead-based paint disclosure pre-1978 statement and your homeowner condominium association docs. There are a lot more forms than these. These are just a few. Having all disclosure statement forms is important because it saves you time and money. There is less chance of buyer remorse or fallout and it also keeps away buyers who may have problems with any disclosed items.
7. Be as flexible as possible with showings and have the home show ready at all times. You want your home sold, so make it available. Don’t give a buyer the opportunity to fall in love with another home when they could have fallen in love with yours first. Many buyers stop after they’ve found the one. Also, be sure your home smells nice and is clean. If a buyer sees a home that is dirty and unkept, they will assume you have not maintained the home.